Saturday, January 15, 2011

an eulogy

621am saturday morning I am puzzling over grammar. Why is it "a eulogy" and not "an eulogy"? It is "an egg" or "an elephant" but a eulogy. Eulogy begins with a vowel- two in fact. I said them both aloud to be sure and then googled to double check. It is an (annoying) exception to the rule.

Wikipedia says;

A 'eulogy' (Classical Greek for "good words") is a speech or writing in praise of a person or thing, especially one recently deceased.

My Aunty Joyce died on Tuesday morning. She is survived by her husband (my Great Uncle) Ron Wilson; as well as her Son and Granddaughter. She hadn't been well for some time, but her death was still a shock to the family. We all had been thinking she would be coming home.

I can still remember attending their wedding. It was my very first time going to one. I think Mom bargained good behaviour for a trip to McD's afterwards. I saw some pictures yesterday- Aunty Joyce wore this beautiful peach suit and hat, and I, on the other hand, wore this horrid dress with tights and sneakers-thanks Mom. From that day on she was stuck with us Little's!

I am sad she is gone, but am grateful she no longer is suffering from pain and fear. In honour of my Aunty Joyce, I'd like to share this poem.

God's Garden

God looked around his garden
And found an empty place,
He then looked down upon the earth
And saw your tired face.
He put his arms around you
And lifted you to rest.
God’s garden must be beautiful
He always takes the best.
He knew that you were suffering
He knew you were in pain.
He knew that you would never
Get well on earth again.
He saw the road was getting rough
And the hills were hard to climb.
So he closed your weary eyelids
And whispered, ‘Peace bethine’.
It broke our hearts to lose you
But you didn’t go alone,
For part of us went with you
The day God called you home.
–Anonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment