Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Sunday Runday

Sunday morning, she wakes up knock knock knock on her door. [britney spears quote of the day] I heard her new song on the radio and now I have assorted BS songs running through my head. It is a rather sad state of affairs....anyways, i got up Sunday, fed the kitty, put on my running shoes and hit the streets. black tights under black shorts and an underarmer sweater with a bright blue skiing headband. I look like a rock star. Outside, it is somewhere around -4 degrees. My fingers and toes are instantly bitten by frost. I decide to do a 10km run. This was prompted, as most things are, by the slight competitive streak I may have. Wendy mentioned she entered an 8KM race on January 1st- yes New Year's Day- and finished with a time somewhere around 45 minutes. I hadn't ran that far in ages or timed any of my runs to see what my pace was at, so i decided to go for it. At about three kms i could feel the burn in my calves. I haven't loaded up my new iPod yet so i'm running naked (music-wise). Every car that drives by sends a gust of freezing air right in my direction. so awesome, I am having a great time. I finally get down near my  half way point where there's no sidewalk. there happens to be snow in this part of town and the side of the road is super icy. I near-bail a few times. I hit the 5k mark with a smile and turn around and head home.  I started to scuff my feet which is a sure sign my legs are getting tired and lazy, so I ran a bit harder because I heard a rumor that makes your body work harder which makes you less tired. Sounds crazy but it seemed to work. I always get excited at 7-8 kms becuase it's my downhill stretch. The sun had come up so I got a beautiful view of the mountains and ran super fast down the hill. Obviously this was tarnished by the side cramp i got. I stood tall (that opens up your stomach and lung area which helps the cramp to ease) and it went away super fast. the last stretch is always the hardest for me. I basically hobble down the street and make it to my building in a slight rage. For some reason it always makes me feel better to swear when i'm done my run. I can barely move at this point, my legs are seizing up. I practically crawled up three flights of stairs. I checked the time as soon as I got in, I had been gone 1 hour exactly. Not bad for my first ten kms back on the running scene. I will note here that I was in major pain for the rest of Sunday and most of monday.  I brought out Foam Roller for the first time in months and went to town on my legs. It hurt like hell but I felt great today. Please note that I have incorproated calf raises into my morning and night teeth brushing routine. Credit is due to Wendy on that one. I can't wait until I'm old and smart like her!

1 comment:

  1. LOL - so glad to be the "old & smart" inspiration in your life! If I didn't have a cold right now I would go outside in the sub-zero weather with snow on the road at 7:32 pm and beat your 10km time. However, I digress because alas, I am old and suffering at the moment. Cheers my lady.

    ReplyDelete