Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Med Rountain Ski Trip

Eight years ago was the last time I spent anytime on a ski hill. After breaking my arm in an underwhelming snowboarding fall, I lost the nerve to get back on the mountain. Instead, I worked on my chalet skills. I bet you didn't know those existed... It's a fine art involving mostly drinking but also activities like hot tubbing, playing cards and shopping. This weekend, however, I got rustled out of my chalet-indulging activities and got dragged up the hill for some skiing.

For the last three weeks I've been fretting and worrying about the impending ski trip to Red Mountain in the town of Rossland. What if I forgot how to ski? What if I fell off a cliff? What will I wear? Everyone assured me it would be like riding a bike.. I had to remind them that my bike riding history is marred with a fall resulting in two broken arms. Nick assured me his mom, Bev, would take care of me on the mountain so I acquiesced. I collected all the necessary ski gear from my mom and sisters and Thursday morning boarded a little pacific coastal flight to Trail.

Friday morning arrives. Nick, Andy, Jess and Cody ventured off for a day of cat skiing and leave Bev and I to hit the mountain. Nervous doesn't even begin to describe how I feel. I get my ski pants on and two sweaters and my jacket and then realize I've forgotten to put on my suspenders so I take it all off and start again. We walk over to the rental shop where I check Beginner as my skill level. I ask the rental guy for some tips and he suggests that I try to upright. Twenty minutes and a few muttered swearwords later, I've manage to get one ski boot on. I think I might have sprained my shoulder trying to get the buckle done up. The second boot is just as difficult. I've broken a sweat and haven't left the shop. The chair lifts aren't open yet so off we go for a coffee. Now, more coffee was probably the last thing I needed, since I was practically hyperventilating with the fear of my first chairlift ride in almost a decade. We go to head outside and I realize I've misplaced my gloves already. Guess I can't go skiing! Bev's not buying that excuse so we retrace my steps and locate my lost mittens at the rental shop. Darn, plan Abort Ski Trip has failed.

I am officially freaking out while we wait in line for the chairlift. It is foggy and freezing and I'm scared and all I can think about is falling whilst trying to get off the chairlift. Bev tries to reassure me and promises to steer clear so I have lots of room to exit the lift. The end comes and I am a broken record of "oh my gods". I stand up and on shaky legs I ski away with no disaster! Anti-climatic, I know, but boy was I stoked.

We stand at the top of a green run and after some inner mental coaching I giver down the hill as if I had just skied yesterday. Muscle memory is a wonderful thing! I make it down the run and through the day with no falls or tears.  Actually, the only fall I had all weekend was when I fell out of my chair at dinner *face palm*

In total, Bev and I threw down 52 runs in three days of skiing. To celebrate, I threw down at least 52 beers. Those beers were necessary to ease the pain I was feeling. By day three my legs and shoulders and various other parts were screaming in agony. My toes hurt from smashing against my boots and it's very possible I may lose some toenails from this adventure. My face is wind burnt and chapped from the wind and cold. Despite all that whining, I'm feeling pretty great. It was an awesome weekend with lots of laughs, good food and great people.

A few things I learned this weekend....
  1. I should spend less time obsessively worrying about things.
  2. Half the battle of learning how to ski is being able to dress yourself appropriately in ski gear and then not falling off the chairlift. If you can do those two things successfully you have left the Beginner level and have arrived at intermediate.
  3. Switching the first letter of someone's first and last name can make for a hilarious nick name.
  4. If you pretend you are in a ski race, you will immediately feel way cooler and ski ever so slightly faster.
  5. That some people consider the color pink to be 'smug'.
Michelle Ski Bunny





2 comments:

  1. Congrats on getting the ski boots on- whew! Can't wait to see your wind chaffed face tomorrow. Hmm, what I mean is- we've missed you at the office!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is quite amusing. :) Well, anyway, I bet you had a fun ski holiday. Looking forward to your next posts. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete