Thursday, August 19, 2010

Gerdan Zerid III

It just hit me like a ton of bricks... I have not blogged about Kitty's disappearance. I don't necessarily feel like I've betrayed him, quite the opposite in fact. I have been holding onto a glimmer of hope that Mr. Gerdan Zerid The Third would return to us in all his furry kitty glory. I will put the glimmer of hope into a pocket of a pair of pants I rarely wear as I feel it is time to move on.

Meowy McMeowington disappeared at the beginning of July like a chocolate cake at fat kids camp. Not a trace. The story, as I was told is as follows: One morning the Carol heard coyotes. The cat did not come when called as per usual. That is the only hard fact we have. I will be honest here. Being suspicious by nature, I questioned whether or not The Mom was conducting a cover up of Something Awful in order to save our feelings. I asked her (maybe not so politely) if she had something to tell me. She (I think I hurt her feelings) informed me she wasn't lying to me and that she didn't know the whereabouts of Kitty.

Let the search begin. In comes Sara and Amanda, aka Team Search Party. I will note here that we don't look like much of a search party, no special high tech gear and no plan to speak of. Manda, at this time, has a walking cast on her foot. Through the forest we trample. No more than seven minutes into The Search, Amanda gets stung by a bee. Lol. I don't know what to say here other than it was vaguely hilarious. She goes back to the house to lick her wounds. Sara and I continue on and stumble across what looks like a hobo's apartment. There is a pile of white stuffing that, at first glance, looks like it could be cat fur. Thank heavens it is not. We come to a gully and the search can go on no further. The forest is not a friendly place. We retreat home.

Signs go up around the neighbourhood. HAVE YOU SEEN THIS CAT? Insert picture of Kitty looking at camera with large amounts of disdain here. I listed off all of his features: long shiny white coat; gray points on tail, feet, nose and ears; startling blue eyes that may appear to be cross-eyed; a harrowing meow; comes to the name Kitty. I offered a reward for his safe return of an unspecified amount. I wouldn't want to put a price on his life... although I think we all know that I'm Cheaperific so the reward would probably consist of a twenty dollar bill and perhaps a piece of gum if I had some on hand.

I know our cat was hit or miss with most people. I can see how it could be hard to love a cat whose meow mimicked the cry of a baby, but at uprorious levels. I think though, that once one got passed that he was impossible not to love. A cat smart enough to come when called, who snuggled in your crook of your arm and didn't mind being under the covers with you when it was chilly. Head butts and purrs and the occasional face lick; kitty was a good friend. He will be missed. Also, RIP Kokanee. Poor little evil dog was in a lot of pain for way too long. You will be missed (mostly by grandma).

Insert guilty face here.... I am planning on getting a kitty from the SPCA in the next couple of months. They have an influx of cats and kittens that need a home and I feel, no- I KNOW it's my civic duty to give one of those kittens a home, preferably one that's gray with white points so he will match my condo decor.

No comments:

Post a Comment