Friday, December 21, 2012

Misconceptions



Throughout my life, I've had lots of misconceptions about things that were largely inaccurate. In plainer, less fluffy words, I've been wrong about a lot of stuff, lots of times. I thought things were one way when they really weren't. Hmm, for some reason I can't think of the proper words to explain this phenomena, so I will just share a couple of things off the list. Here goes nothin'...
 
Seafood. I thought it was grossly disgusting because it looks and smells weird, and then one day, under extreme provocation, I tried a garlic buttered prawn and decided that it was chewily delicious. Next came deep fried calamari, dipped in tzitiki, and my reaction was the same. It made me realize that I pretty much like anything when it's sauteed in garlic butter and that tzitiki is a food for the gods. I still haven't tapped the Fish World yet, maybe by the time I'm 30 I will be brave enough to eat the slimy, scary swimmy creatures.
 
Drilling down that point a bit further, I'll tell you a little story. Growing up, my family spent a lot of quality time at White Spot - we still do, as a matter of fact. For years, I ate White Spot's Red Clam Chowder thinking the clams were chicken. The "chicken" bits were especially chewy but I guess my mom said they it was chicken and I never thought to question it... Until one day (it was a dark day) someone spilled the beans and told me it was clams. CLAMS! For months, maybe even years, I refused to eat said beloved soup. After the feelings of betrayal wore off, I jumped back on the clam chowder wagon, skipping the clams and eating everything else.

Moving along... Growing up, I had a Philippino nanny who pretty much raised me and my sisters while my parents were working. She is a great lady and I love her dearly. Please note, however, that I still do not forgive her for punishing me, by putting hot sauce in my mouth when I was bad. My memories grow fond when I recall the delicious dinners full (and consisting entirely) of white rice, bacon and soy sauce. Delicious! Anyways, back to the point- growing up, I'd never seen any pictures of this Phillipines place, so of course, I conjured up images in my head. I pictured the Philippines as a high tech, fortress style place. At one point, I watched the movie Total Recall (my dad ingrained in me a love of terrible movies) and for some reason I linked the Phillipines with Total Recall and from then on that is what I pictured. To be honest, I still do.
 



I think I'll leave it at that picture of Arnold. Not much can top that!




No comments:

Post a Comment