Sunday, November 7, 2010

pipes a leakin'

In general I try not to be productive on Sundays. Today, however, I woke up with a Can-Do attitude. I decided to cut some base board mouldings to finally put up in my bathroom. This is mostly because I really want to wallpaper one or both bathrooms. I have narrowed the paper choice down to a light blue damask or a black and white damask pattern. One is pretty, the other is chic.
After measuring the first section I went to my second bedroom where I have my borrowed miter box and hand saw set up. I made the cut. It was shockingly rather easy. I took the piece to the bathroom and lined it up and it fit! However, there was still one finishing nail left in the wall from the old baseboard that had been ripped out a year ago when I first moved in. I found a pair of pliers and started to pull it out. Hissssssssssssssssss goes the nail! WHAT?! goes the shelly . I stop what I'm doing and check the heater. It is on. I turn it off. The hiss continues. I ponder for a bit and come up with nothing useful so I pull the nail out a bit further. Water starts to bubble out. I immediately push the nail back in the hole and water bubbles and hissing noises stop.

I call my mom. She tells me to call the property management company. I am in the middle of a panic attack. I have a cookies. I call the emergency number for my property management company, this is how the phone call goes: I explain the situation, the lady confirms with me that my condo is NOT flooding at the immediate time and explains because it is a Sunday someone will deal with it on Monday. My cry voice begins to creep up on my so I agree, give her my info and hang up. I call and bbm my uncle Stuart who is a plumber. The bbms were not delivered. hrmph. I call my mom, she sends my dad over. In the meantime I go to level two and talk to my downstairs neighbours to explain what had happened and asked them to keep an eye on their ceiling for any leaks. Their dog gnawed on my shoe. I don't really blame him.

Glenn arrives and insists on pulling the nail out a bit "to see for himself". My pukey face is back again. He pulls it out a bit and the hissing noise returns. He puts the nail back in. This wall is opposite all my bathroom utilities, it doesn't really make sense that there would be water here. We check the front closet (which is on the other side of the bathroom) and realize that is where the main water shut off is. Carol advises us to turn the water off. We do. After all, mommy knows best.

I get an unknown number calling my cell, I answer and it is my property manager, he asks me to explain what has happened and then says they will find a plumber to come out. PHEWF. At the same time Uncle Stu calls my dad and he gives him the run down. He tells Glenn that we should take pictures showing the old nail in the wall to prove that I didn't do it. Also advised me to keep the nail once the plumber pulls it out as it will be rusty and old. Any pipes in the wall should be the responsibility of the strata he says. I sure hope he's right. It all goes to show that one shouldn't be productive on Sundays. (time noted: 10:59AM) Should've stayed in bed.

12 pipes a leaking. 11 shellys crying. 10 daddys helping. 9 kittys meowing. 8 mouldings molding. 7 toilets flushing. 6 neighbours hating. 5 COPPER PIPES. 4 holes in wall. 3 spliced pipes. 2 gaping holes and broken bathroom in a penthouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment