Thursday, September 9, 2010

Grandparent's Day September 12th

Wowzers!! My calendar just informed me that Sunday September 12th is Grandparent's Day. At first i thought it said Groundhog Day and i was ecstatic that it was coming so early this year. NTS: wear glasses more often. I thought doing a piece focused on the wonder that is the grandparent would be a lovely way to celebrate. Please note that even though i may call old people Q-Tips behind their backs, it in no way lessens my love of them. (Q-Tips--white hair, white shoes...get it?)

Who they are:

Most commonly known and introduced as Grandma or Nancy, but legally known as Annie Elizabeth and jokingly referred to as Splat Annie. My grandpa (you will read about him next) dubbed gma this as she can catch and kill flies like nobodies business. It's rather disgusting, but certainly is fun to watch. Grandma refuses to accept that she's a senior citizen, except for when a seniors discount is available somewhere. She likes beige and wears fifty rings on her hands. Favorite story: Back when we were about 7 we were staying downtown with my grandparents for the weekend and my gma tried to feed us Chef Boyardee ravioli. When she left the room me and Amanda, without even tasting the stuff, decided it was disgusting. I will point fingers here, since it's my blog, and say that AMANDA opened the window and we proceeded to dump our canned pasta down ten floors and onto the sidewalk. Grandma comes back and we make yummy noises. Approximately fifteen minutes later a rather red-faced Nancy tells us to get our butts down there and clean up that mess! She's a stickler, that Nancy. (Side note: pretty sure i'd totally eat chef boyardee ravioli these days. Will make a point to purchase some next grocery shop.)

Grandpa. Bruce Wallace. He is my grandma's second husband and therefore our step gpa, but has always been the main in our lives. He is responsible for the horror that is the forty hours of childhood video tapes turned DVDs we all own and cherish (sorry to all those who had/will have to sit through those). Bruce was born and raised in Australia and was a professional rower. He moved to Canada and then his rowing partner dumped him and his dreams were crushed. He then started collecting baseball caps as a hobby. Grandpa always has made the best stack of pancakes; pre-buttered and pre-cut for your dining pleasure. I'm not going to lie, just recently i had my pancakes buttered and cut courtesy of gramps. if i had any shame, i might be embarassed. Please see the photo below for pictoral reference. Also, he used to let us put bows and barrettes in his hair. that is love.

Grandpa Robert. The Mom's dad. He is Irish. He still (somewhat mysteriously) has an Irish brogue....even though he has lived in Canada for 50 years. Just found out he has parkinson's disease. rather disconcerting. (Self Reminder to make a point to do dinner with them soon.) He re-married when my mom was in her twenties to a lady called Maggie. She used to sing and play the piano for us. it was lovely. OK OK , u got me. i was being sarcastic. Her voice isn't anything to write about (or apparetnly it is), but she does enjoy to sing and entertain and THAT, ladies and gentlemen, is a gift. Those two have never been close to the family until more recently. The carol told me a story that she tried to strangle Maggie at her wedding. This may be a made up story, it was never confirmed by an outside source. They gifted me an amazing pepper grinder for my house warming, along with matching tea towels. I will not mention the oysters they gifted me as well. I guess not everyone knows that oysters are disgusting.

Grandpa Jack: My dad's dad. Deceased. Crew cut-check. Super duper big screen TV and satellite TV- check. Crazy black cat named (and re-named as they were replaced) Buttons- check. He was very brusque and i was always too scared to know him. His favorite was Amanda. He gave my parents money at Christmas time to buy us new winter coats every year. Kept us stylin' yo. He had a greenhouse that we would toil in. Oh and later in life he had a rad new mustang. awesome guy, sad he's gone.
-photo not readily available.

Grandma, the dad's mom. This is silly, i can't remember her name. To be fair, i've never met her- she died before or just after we were born. I think if i had 5 daughters and two boys I'd call it quits early too! RIP gma Little.
-photo not readily available.

I would like to do an honorable mention here to the grandparents i have borrowed over the years. You know what they say...can never have too much Old Person in one's life. Remember kids, sharing is caring!

New slogan: Share a Grandparent Today! (insert catchy jingle here).

No comments:

Post a Comment